- Providing advice, tools and support for effectively using the e-infrastructure for visualization
- Providing courses on visualization
- Realizing visualization projects for end-users
- Contributing to larger (international) projects such as Fortissimo and CompBioMed.
Our current focus is on
- Web-based visualization
- Remote visualization on the Cartesius supercomputer and the HPC Cloud
- Augmented and virtual reality
- 3D printing for (scientific) visualization
But see here for a full list of topics from current and former projects and activities.
We also regularly contribute to PR and outreach activities of SURFsara and SURF, by giving presentations on visualization topics and projects we work on, and by developing (technology) demonstrations.
TeamThe visualization group is a relatively small team within SURFsara. Compared to most other SURFsara groups we focus more on application-level tasks and realising targeted projects for HPC users and less on infrastructure development, maintenance and support.
We have a computer science and visualization background, with years of experience in working with diverse types of scientific data (such as red-blood cell 3D simulations or GPS tracks of migrating birds), visualization software (such as ParaView, VTK, d3.js, Blender and Unity3D) and exotic devices (CAVE, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Microsoft HoloLens).
Group leader & visualization advisor
|Casper van Leeuwen
Visualization advisor & developer
About SURFsara & SURF
SURFsara creates a bridge between research and advanced ICT. We do so with a passion for scientific research in our DNA and with extensive expertise contained in our high-performance infrastructure. This enables us to facilitate scientific research and develop initiatives for the business community.
SURF is the collaborative ICT organisation for Dutch education and research. SURF offers students, lecturers and scientists in the Netherlands access to the best possible internet and ICT facilities.